Tuesday, August 16, 2016

The foreign concept of help.

I am exhausted.

There.  I said it.  I am one of those people that will readily say that I'm tired, but I never admit the depth of the tiredness or admit that there is a point where I might need help.  I've learned that I'm one of those people that never wants to be indebted to others, so I find that even in times of need that I simply won't ask.

I'm pretty sure that that's not healthy, but it certainly feels better knowing that someone can't hold my moments of weakness over my head.

And in that admission, there is my revelation.  When did requiring help become a weakness?  I read this very enlightening article about self-care, and realized that I don't do much of that.  I've not dabbled in the lovely art of spending time on making me happy, and when I do rest, I feel guilty about what I'm not doing for others.  Then the guilt compounds into over compensation, hovering (to my loved ones' dismay), exhaustion, and subsequently there will be no help given because none will be requested.

That needs to change.  I want for my children to always let me know when they need help.  It pains me to think they would hurt or struggle when the help I could provide would be done without question.  I believe I will actively work on the concept of asking for help when I need it, because let's face it, even a superwoman needs rest sometimes.

Bless.

"Nobody, but nobody can make it out here alone."  --Maya Angelou 


No comments:

Post a Comment